Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Graduation Speech - Spring International Language Center University of Arkansas-


October 15, 2009

I would like to express my sincere thanks to Dr. Lanier, Adriana, and my teachers: Steve, Liz, Mrs Shepherd, David, Michelle, Vlad, Mr. Don and all the teachers for your valuable contributions to my studies. I will always remember you along the path to achieving my dreams and goals.

On the first day I arrived at Spring International, I took the Michigan test. Like most of you, I had a great expectation to achieve a high score. However, when I received the result, I was disappointed; my score was lower than expected and was not high enough for me to enter level 5. I learned that day, although painfully, that level 4 was the right one for me. And I accepted the decision.
Since that day, I have learned several lessons while studying at Spring International, which remind me of what President Theodore Roosevelt said, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” Even when my English is not strong enough, even when the situation is challenging or unexpected. I do what I can.

Back in April 2009, in level 400 speaking class with Mr. Don, we had an important group discussion ….. about ..… penguins. You know, the funny birds. It shocked me when I recognized how different the characters of my classmates were; some of them were very forward, talkative. I remembered Roosevelt’s quote, and I gave my best effort to adjust to the situation and gave them my respect and patience. More importantly, I had to adapt to where I am to survive, and to take risks, to get involved in the conversation by speaking up in the group. When I was in Indonesia, I was chatty person, but I am a lot shyer in the multicultural environment. But I do what I can.

I have to admit that when I came to the US, I brought with me a serious misconception. I thought that the Americans loved war, were unfriendly, and acted selfishly. I was wrong, as all of those assumptions were just stereotypes. I tried to get to know more Americans and I found that they are actually really friendly. Everywhere, we hear people saying, “Have a good day,” “Hi how are you?” “wassup!.” One day, when my friends and I moved out from our apartment, some Americans offered their help. It was an amazing moment. I was able to change my perception about Americans when I saw the facts. I have been able to adapt to this new environment, and I want to keep this new perception. “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” And, sometimes what I have is the reality in front of me. What I have now is a clear mind, a true understanding of Americans, and a mind that is free of misconceptions. That may be the most important lesson.

Many of you may see yourself in my story, Some of you may fell in the same way as I do. But to those who are new to this situation, try to adjust and be flexible with the new environment, and you will recognize that you too will learn many lessons in life. Even when…..“where you are”….. may be strange or new. Even whe…… “what you have”….. may seem insufficient. No matter what, “do what you can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment